Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pipets are cheap, so why not just buy them?

I keep thinking that it's only been about three days since I've written, but then I stop and think about it. Once I've realized it's been several weeks, I figure, "Meh, one more day makes no difference".

Two weeks ago I was in my elective class, making lab material out of glass heated over a huge Bunsen burner. I mean, that's what I was supposed to be doing, except my efforts were producing little more than... well, twisted bits off glass (and yet my bits of glass were some of the best in my class. Hm.). I made four attempts at Pasteur pipets and a triangle. Who knew making pipets was so hard? The triangles were relatively easy, though.


In the process of forming my second triangle- which, alas, was never to be- I was kinda not paying full attention to it, so I bent it too hard when it hadn't heated up enough, so it broke (well, I guess technically I broke it) and then followed a trajectory which led it first to my arm and then to the floor.

Now I've got this burn on my left bicep and let me tell you, it ain't pretty. It's not really gross or anything, but still.

Oh, and that same day, I was taking something out of the toaster oven (fish sticks or what have you) and I burned my hand.

Ouch.

Oh, although one of my pipets wasn't sealed shut, and it actually had a little hole about half a millimeter wide on the small end. Useful for sucking up minute amounts of water.

You know what's tasty?

I do: an octopus! I watched a documentary on octopi once, and not only do they imitate the texture of coral reefs and fish and stuff, they also imitate their shape by arranging their (many) limbs in different ways... AND they imitate behavior. Like, they can mimic both a fish that swims a few centimeters above the ocean floor, and one that swims a few meters above. I assume they can do other swimming patterns, but those were the only two I saw.

See the octopus? The delicious, delicious octopus?

Fun fact, just now when I was writing about fish, I typed "...a fish that flies a few centimeters above...".

Ooooooh god, it would be so scary if fish could fly! Imagine a fish that dies mid-flight and falls on your head!!

I'll leave you with that thought and retire off to bed. Hopefully I won't dream about F.F. (and I mean Flying Fish, not Final Fantasy).

1 comment:

Exiliada said...

Ew, flying fish. >(