Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I can't sleep

I've been having some episodes of insomnia recently. One night, I went to bed at 10 pm, and fell asleep seven hours later.

Major suckage.

It had also happened to me a few months ago, when I was still in school. I'd get very little sleep, have a lot of trouble getting up in the morning because I just felt sooo heavy, and generally have a crappy time. Of course I couldn't just take it lying down (ha!), so I conducted what passes for research these days** and then tried any combination of the below:

1. Not look at anything bright/be in an illuminated place for about an hour before bed
2. Listen to soothing/classical music
3. Not listen to anything
4. Stimulate my brain (or something) by reading, doing puzzles, etc. before bed
5. Not do any strenuous thinking before bed
6. Read something very boring (The Silmarillion)
7. Warm milk before bed
8. Tea before bed
9. No caffeine
10. Not eating anything a few hours before bed
11. Eating a lot before bed
12. Meditating
13. Counting sheep
14. Exercise before bed to tire myself out
15. Shower before bed

The above is a load of crap. I came up with some of them, and found most of them, but it's all still crap. I'd drink warm tea with milk, spend an hour in the dark before going to bed and meditate and then I'd just stare at the ceiling for hours.

Agggh!!

But no more!! These days, or at least yesterday and the day before, I've been falling asleep within half an hour of going to bed. Do you want to know what it is that just sends me off, that is as effective as hitting me over the head with a ukulele, what's the stupidest yet most effective cure for insomnia?

DEATH METAL!!!!

Seriously. Three tracks into the Dethalbum and I'm knocked out***. And probably snoring.

**Research these days = several hours on the Internet, with Google majorly involved

***Some might argue that I'm falling asleep to a cartoon soundtrack. To them, I say ptooie! It's still death metal.

No comments: