Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Books 15, 16

Har. Once again, all I have to write about is books.

Actually, there are other things, but I'm lazy (SHOCK!). I will try to make amends by following this post with something else, because I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that when (if?) I'm 72 years old and hire someone to read my blog to me, I'll just skim over the whole book bit and go, "Eh... let's hear the bit about the rogue pony instead". Provided, that is, the blog and me have both survived, and I have money to hire someone to read it. Or I can bribe them somehow. Maybe I'll have grandchildren, or –OR– literate cats! Oh, and also I'd have to say something about a rogue pony.

Anyway, I'll keep this brief.

Book 15: Illegal Alien, by Robert J. Sawyer.

My sister brought this book back from Canada when she came to visit sometime last year. She also brought back a trilogy by the same author, about Neanderthals living in a universe parallel to ours. I enjoyed the first book and abandoned, out of disinterest, the second, after about 3 pages. But that was last year, so it counteth not toward this book count. I'm just throwing that in there so you can see how awesome and literate I am (har).

This book was pretty fun, mostly because it deals a whole lot with things happening during a criminal trial, inside a courtroom. That may sound boring, except I do enjoy Law & Order: SVU whenever I catch it on TV (and since I usually get home around 11 p.m., that's at least once a week), so I know who the prosecutor and the jury are, and what "Objection! The defendant is arguing their case!" mean. Actually, I have a much better idea of how the justice system stuff works in the U.S. than in Mexico.

See, Mexican-made television includes a lot of telenovelas, which I'm not exactly a fan of. Recently there have been efforts to produce proper T.V. series, though, which is good.

This book earns an extra brownie point because it's science fiction and has aliens in it.

Book 16 was Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

That's 3 of her books I've read this year, I think. Lots of chick lit. Hee hee.

I'm a big fan of the Shopaholic books, especially the three first books. The fourth, fifth and sixth (which is the one I just read) I progressively liked less, just a bit each time. Which is not to say I didn't enjoy this –I really did– just... not as much as the first half of the series.


That's it. Whooo!

2 comments:

Izzy said...

What about Ender's game?
Doesn't that count?
I might send you guys some book with dad.
Actually, I will go with him to a bookstore and pick some stuff out for you. How does that sound? (sound like when you read this is your head)

Andrea said...

No, I read Ender's Game last year. I wrote about it sometime before, actually.

:3 kissies!