Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bad science, book #19


I baked some big chocolate-chocolate-chocolate cookies last night (or technically, early this morning). They're cake-y, with two types of chocolate chip (or three, I don't remember. I made the dough earlier this month and froze it, so I'm not really sure what I put in anymore). They're huge, because I made them to celebrate the fact that I fixed a giant ice cream scoop we have. Because, you know, I'm so handy and all. And I used the scoop to portion out the dough.


Huge!

It's exam season! Final exams! Departmental tests!! Aaaah!

Litle story about my Algae team: we lost our results (shhhh!!) from the field work we did in Veracruz, so we're just flying with what we can remember (pH in the pond was like... 6?**) and whatever is in samples we brought back, which means mostly diatoms. And there's about four species of diatoms, so they don't even look that cool what with the lack of variety.

I just spent about ten minutes trying to remember what book I read last week. "Not science fiction, not chick lit, not popular science... Oh, yeah!"

Book #19: The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, except the books I've read aren't quite so bleak and depressing as this one is. It was really good; I kept waiting for something to happen, thinking "Eh, it'll get better when it picks up a bit", except then I was halfway through and I figured out that the whole book was like that; sort of slow, dare I say lethargic? I don't know. That makes it sound boring, but it wasn't boring. It was good. Especially the ending, which I thought might be disappointing, but it was totally cool.

The only thing that annoyed me was the selective use of apostrophes. This Cormac guy doesn't use apostrophes in his dialogs most of the time, which is fine, except that while he has no problem saying youre, dont and cant, he does leave the apostrophe in I'm. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??

**Im kidding here, obviously. We're not going to guess the pH, that's just bad science. I mean, so is losing your results... but, uh.... huh.

No comments: