Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sudden epiphany

This morning I spent about an hour and a half slowly and boredly reading the first chapter of a book called "The Physics of Medicine". It took that long because I was alternately reading said chapter, reading xkcd and browsing Wikipedia.

Then I remembered that I have some other homework. I have to write something backwards on a sheet of paper and hand it in, because we're starting optics in Physics (observing how stuff reflected in a mirror appears inverted. I NEVER NOTICED THAT). Since I can write anything I want, I spent about two hours avidly researching Godzilla on the Interwebs.

There is something odd about this. Behold the list:

a) While reading the anatomy book, I was bored and did not identify with what I was learning about. However I researched Godzilla with much interest; I had fun.

b) I learned more when reading about Godzilla than when reading the book.**

c) Both were fairly easy tasks to do.

d) Both assignments are for the same subject.


Conclusion: Screw anatomy, we should learn about monsters at school.


**Interesting things I learned from anatomy book: why it is, exactly, that we shrink after hitting 80, and the maximum height you can fall from without bending your knees without breaking your ankles.
Interesting things I learned from Godzilla research: a great many large, fictional monster facts to write about, a bit about culture, and some new words to boot.

No comments: