Sunday, May 02, 2010

Discovery of the day

Hermit crabs like honeydew melon.

Or perhaps I should feed them more often.

Anyway, today I went over to the crabby-tank to give the little decapods (deca...paw-feet-claws?) some fresh water. Someone was sitting in the food dish, and it made me realize that I haven't actually given them fresh food for a while, about two weeks. I don't need to do it that often, because a) they eat their coconut substrate, and b) in the wild, they eat rotting fruit that falls from trees, so as long as the food stays in the dish and doesn't get mouldy or something, I let them keep it.

But anyway, this afternoon we'd bought 2 kilos of mangoes and 2 honeydew melons for the grand sum of 4o pesos**, so I soared to the kitchen, fast as a speeding bullet, and hacked up some melon to put in the crabs' food dish. Then I went and got them a little piece of mango –variety is important– and came back to find two crabs already gorging themselves on the melon. Which was very quick of them.


**With 40 pesos you can buy any of the following:

1. Four ice cream sandwiches

2. Not quite two toothbrushes

3. Twenty pens

4. Four (kinda small) hermit crabs

5. Five glasses of orange juice (or enough oranges to make more than that)

6. Five mililtres of chocolate praline fragrance from Sephora

7. One fifth of a hamburger-shaped pillow that I really want

8. Six point six six six six six six cans of diet Dr Pepper from OXXO

9. One fifteenth of my shoes (some lovely Converse)

10. NOT MY DOG BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T COST ANYTHING, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No comments: