Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday's photo (devil horns!)

Not much happened today (went to school, hung out a bit, ate a burrito, came home). In Physics class someone brought a model of a hand that could extend its fingers via pressure from some syringes attached to a board and each finger.

Obviously everyone was having fun extending only the model's middle finger and then laughing like baboons, but I nabbed it and make it do the sign of the horns long enough to take a photo. I took it with my cell phone, so its crappy.


Featuring also my classmate's face. Hi, Alf!

Something that annoys me sooo much is when people start talking about the sign of the horns and assure you that it has an evil, satanic meaning, when they in fact have no effing clue where it came from or what it means. I remember once one of my teachers started getting side-tracked during a lesson, and it turned into one of those class-discussions, and she** said:

"But that all has a meaning, you know! And the people that do it just think it looks cool, but they don't know--"

SHUT UP. You don't know! The original meaning ("original" as in when it was introduced to heavy metal; obviously it was around before in different times and places, and had a variety of meanings) wasn't Hail Satan!, or F*ck you! or anything. It was something one of the dudes from Black Sabbath saw his granny do, and thought it looked cool***. So he did it while he played.

That is all.

It's nothing evil, and even if it had been originally (again, metal-wise), it wouldn't matter anymore. Meanings change, in language both spoken and sign, and in the present, musical contest, it means:

"AYE! ME LIKES THE MUSICS! I FEELS ITS!"

I mean, it could totally mean something else in other places, maybe convey something rude. I have no idea. Maybe in Elbonia they use it as an easy way to describe what you enjoy doing to someone's mother****, but, you know, that doesn't apply here.

Elbonians are weird, anyway.

Here's my burrito:


This isn't actually from today, but it's just like the one I ate.
It cost a whooping 20 pesos.

It's not a flattering photo, and you can't really tell from this, but that thing was HUGE AND DELICIOUS. I love burritos.

**I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a woman.
***The granny did it to ward off ill intentions from other people. Not even Satan, just regular peeps. Like the next-door neighbor or something.
****I enjoy chatting with mine, for instance. \m/

No comments: