Friday, September 15, 2006

Hulk, grrarrr!

Today is the 15th of September. On the 16th of September is the anniversary of Mexico's Independence, but since today is Friday, the ceremony at school was today, seeing as there is no school on Saturday.
On occasions like this, we're supposed to wear a dark green tie to match our school uniform. Last night I forgot to stash mine in my schoolbag (the tie's on my bed, where it usually lives), and consequently, I forgot to bring it. I remembered it on my bus, along with the Civics homework I dindn't do (which was completed afterwards at school). I stopped to buy some green ribbon at a little stall just outside school. The only green ribbon they had, however, vas a light, almost pistachio green, and was rather thin. Oh, well, no time to go somewhere else, and anyway, all the nearby shops have no cloth ribbon (I know this owing to previous situations resembling this one). Huff, puff, go to school. Okay.... it seems that I'm the only one who forgot their tie. There were probably others, but I didn't see or remember them.
And then I proceeded to fix my "tie". I whipped out a green marker and colored in my pistachio tie, so that when I was finished it, it was acceptably dark-ish.
The marker was water-based, so it rubbed off on my hands, turning then Hulk green. (they still are green as I type this).
It turned out the ribbon was not long enought to go round my neck and hang down, and the knot was pathetically small. So I took a piece of card, cut out several triangles the same size, and glued them back to back. I then wrapped the ribbon around the triangles, and secured them into place with a paper clip. To attach it to my collar, I bent another paper clip into a sort of hook, and stuck one end in the back of the tie, the other end in my shirt collar. And there you have it, a sucky "tie" made out of a ribbon that turns your shirt collar and hands green.

No comments: