Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lessons from University

I've been learning all sorts of stuff at university. Some key lessons so far:

1. You can fall asleep anywhere. Anytime. If you're sitting down, you're game for a nap. I'm especially susceptible in the mornings, for two or three hours after waking up. For instance, this morning I nodded off for a moment when I was in the middle of writing a sentence. Then I woke up, finished writing it, and fell back asleep.

2. Group homework is finally worthwhile. Before, team meetings were never very useful, forget trying to get more than a few pages of something done. But everyone is smart and focused now! They all want to work, it's great.

3. Don't leave the reading assignment last. It goes like this:

10:39 pm Ah, finished! Now I just have to read for my Philosophy and History of Biology class. Easy-peasy, it's like 50 pages. Right!

10:43 pm Whoah, I'm getting a bit sleepy. A power nap will help. I'll just set my alarm for three minutes here... Aahhh...

10:46 pm What?? That was so not three minutes. Four more!

10:50 pm Okay, I'll just buckle up and read, or I'll fall asleep for good. Read read read read.

10:54 pm Whoah. I just read a whole paragraph and didn't assimilate anything. If I nap again I'll fall asleep for good, I'll just have to concentrate harder.

11:39 pm MMNUH??!?! When did I fall asleep? And what's this paper doing– oh. My homework. Right. Okay, I think I left off here. Read read read read.

2:24 am Past Me only read another two paragraphs before shutdown. Go, me. Okay, I'll just skim. Skim skim skim skim.

5:02 am Agh, I did it again. I'll just finish skimming this and then get to sleep... for half an hour, before I have to get up. AAAH!!

As you can see, this is neither restful nor productive.

I keep telling my parents that I need a desk, but they ignore me. So I end up working on my bed, and that up there happens.

4. I'm not a dork anymore. I mean, I am, but everyone else is dorky to some degree, too. And so many of them are dorkier than I am!

5. My homework is actually kinda fun. The homework that's related to Biology, at any rate. Since I'm in lowly first semester, I have to take Physics and Math and stuff, which is okay but not very fun.

6. Above all, have fun! No, I'm kidding. All work and no play make Jack graduate.

1 comment:

Eduardo Serralde said...

I agree. But I still think you must have some fun time, otherwise you'd become a total nerd.