Friday, March 11, 2011

A story & book 6

"So, you wanna make graham crackers?" I asked my sister.

"That sounds good," she said, standing at the door to her room. "Dad's students are all gone, right? 'Cause I'm in pajamas." She indicated her oversize T-shirt and too-short purple cotton pants.

"I think so, it's all silent down there," I replied, and started down the stairs. "And anyway, I was wearing my pajamas in the morning and no-one batted an eyelash."

"Yeah, it's called el umbral de la pijama," came the reply from upstairs. "Once you've crossed it, anything's fine."

"Ha! That's good!" I called up, "Next step is underwear!"

I turned and walked the last two steps into the kitchen, where I discovered that there was still one student left, busily coding on his laptop, sitting next to out Japanese house guest. He looked up and said hi.

Oh god, I said underwear.



Book report time! I finished book number 6: Remake, by Connie Willis.

Honestly, I didn't like it much, but of course I was comparing it to the other things of hers that I've read. It didn't stack up that well. I didn't actually get into it until I was two-thirds in, and I only got that far because I had nothing else to do in my free minutes at school (I forgot to upload new podcasts to my iPod). And as for the surprise twist ending, it would've been cool, but at that point I didn't care about it anymore.

On the plus side, it's a small book, so it was easy to carry around.

And let the record show that I'm only being this mean because she's written some other stuff that's really great.

No comments: