Saturday, January 26, 2008

In Math class yesterday

Girl Behind Me: Andreaaaa...?

Me: Yeah?

Girl: Can you help me with my English homework?

Me: Sure :)

Girl: See, I have to write a conversation, like this one. *pulls out textbook to show me*

Me: Yeah, I know. I've done five other ones today.

I then begin to rapidly scribble away on a piece of paper ("What do you do on Saturdays?" "On Saturdays I usually play soccer in the park with my friends. What about you?")

Guy Who Sits Next To Me: *watches* Do you go to an English course or something?

Me: *still scribbling* Nope.

Guy: Did you go to a private school? [in private schools they actually teach you proper English, like how to say 'apple' instead of 'éi-pol']

Me: No... I'm Canadian.

Guy: Really? *regards me with shiny, interested eyes*

And he then proceeded to ask me a few of the usual questions (although since he's a decent person, he only asked the less nosy and annoying ones):

1. So, you were born in Canada?
2. Why did you move here? [sometimes intoned "Why did you move here??"]
3. Well, you speak Spanish really well!
4. Do you go there often?
5. So are both of your parents Canadian?
6. Do you have relatives there?
7. Is it nice there?
8. Where do you like it more: in Mexico or in Canada?
9. Did you go to school there?
10. And you speak English, like, well?
11. How do you say ... in English? Oh, your pronunciation is cool!
12. Was it hard to learn English?
13. How old were you when you learned English/Spanish?
14. Which would you say is harder: English or Spanish?
15. Who taught you English/Spanish?


I've had that same conversation well over a hundred times. Perhaps two hundred. I wouldn't know, since they're usually not very memorable.

Except for that one time when some kid was bragging about how he was so good at English, and I told him, "Hey, that's cool. I speak it, too."

The he proceeded to inform me that I couldn't possibly be as good as him, since he went to some fancy-pants courses since a young age and all. I reply, "Well, I'm Canadian"

...to which he said, "Really? You don't look Canadian."

Yes. Thank you very much.

2 comments:

Eduardo Serralde said...

Are you really Canadian? All these time I always tought you were mexican!

Andrea said...

I was shocked when I found out this morning, too.
Oh, and it turns out that I'm really an alien, which means I'm adopted!