Thursday, December 18, 2008

How many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Just two, but they have to be really, really tiny.

Hahaha.

Something that at first seemed interesting and later on started to bug me is how in English we say "I" so much. It makes me feel all egocentric. For example:

I ate porridge this morning, but I made too much. I started out with too many oats, but I didn't notice and ended up adding way too much milk. So now I'm really full, which is actually a good thing since I'm full of porridge and not of, say, chocolate.


That last paragraph is 50 words, and "I" is written 6 times. That's 12%!


On another note, I found out how to clean my Mighty Mouse's scroll wheel (I love that name. Mighty Mouse. Teehee!). It's so annoying, because the scroll wheel is so cool ('cuz it goes in all directions), and so frustrating because it gets all clogged up with gross stuff and stops scrolling in one or another direction. Up until yesterday, I could only scroll down. Gahhh.

I adapted this from a method I saw posted on a forum somewhere...

1. With a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, clean the scroll wheel.
2. Lightly wet a piece of paper with alcohol.
3. Run the scroll wheel up and down, sideways, and in circles on the paper until it 'feels' clean. I noticed that when it was ready, mine made a weird sort of whizzing/fast clicking sound.
4. Rub it the same way on a dry piece of paper.

Presto! Clean, working scroll wheel.

I also read somewhere that a few people had temporarily fixed the problem by pressing down hard on the wheel. I don't think that's a great idea, since my guess is that what you're actually doing there is getting the dirt & gross stuff out of the way by smooshing it down (and thus making it harder to remove later on).

No comments: